10/05/2009

Movie Review : Star Trek (2009)


I gotta be honest here: I was never really a Star Trek fan.

To wit: I've never watched any of the previous Star Trek movies, I've never really enjoyed the USS Enterprise adventures, I've never participated in the whole Kirk-Picard debate, and I've always thought that Star Wars was better.

But after watching the J.J. Abrams version of Star Trek, I'm ready to boldly go where I've never gone before.

This film is such a slick, and action-packed update that I think it's a good study for making sci-fi material into box-office gems. I think the movie has a great amount of exhilarating sequences, the right amount of humor, and, of course, space scenes that would make fanboys sigh. I also like how the film was able to integrate the 1960's look, from the clothes to the technology design (notice the ships' designs)

As far as the ensemble cast goes, I found Zachary Quinto's Spock much, much more interesting than Chris Pine's James T. Kirk. The rest were given ample attention, but the ones that stood out were McCoy (Karl Urban), Uhura (Zoe Saldana), Sulu (John Cho), and Scotty (Simon Pegg).

There's really not much to dislike about this version of Star Trek. If this latest version of the franchise is the new start of the film franchise, Star Trek will live long and prosper.


Rating: 5/5

More movie reviews at Screensucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment